Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Blog

Thanks to some posts about Musical Schizophrenia in the commentbox, I feel triggered to write a blog about it. After some comments, mails and reactions, it seems people think MS is slacking and isn't as good as it used to be. Please allow me to reply. This isn't an annoyed or mad post, but just an (possible) explanation to those of you who feel MS is slacking.

The whole crew of MS is still working hard to update this blog daily and to offer the best of the best in the wonderful world of blogs and music. These days it's kinda hard to be the same blog as we were in the beginning. These are some of the reasons:

Archive
When we started with this blog, everything was new. We could post everything we liked, sky's the limit. Right now we have an archive of almost 1.500(!) albums which makes it harder to daily update the blog with good stuff - since the majority of it is already online.

Time
2007 and 2008 were excellent years for (jazzy) Hip Hop. Really, a lot of good releases. I have the feeling 2009 is kinda disappointing compared to the previous years. We're having a hard time to find a lot of good new stuff...

Visitors
Right now we have an average of 2.000+ unique visitors a day. All people with own needs, opinions and wishes. We want to satisfy everyone, so that's why we post a variety of music: instrumental, genres, mixes, compilations. We try to make everybody happy, so that's why we sometimes have to disappoint others as well.

So...
The whole crew is still wholehearted towards MS and we're still trying to make this blog the best one ever. We have a forum, a magazine (website coming!) and last but not least: a massive 'fanbase' (thanks everyone!). Yes, maybe the blog and the content changed throughout the year. If it's a bad thing? I don't know, that's up to you to judge. All we have to say: we're doing our best to offer you the best music and we'll continue with until... infinity?


What do you think of MS nowadays and what should/could be better? Let us know!

7 comments:

Joaquino said...

I won't speak for the entire Blak's Lair Family, but from my standpoint, I think you all are doing a wonderful job bringing that real jazzy hip-hop that these young cats need to REALLY check out and embrace! As we've always said: programming sucks, music execs suck, music production sucks, and as a result, the quality of the final product blows chunks. What DOESN'T suck for today's urban radio is marketing, as the same re-packages bullshit continues to go platinum and gold. I won't and can't listen to hip-hop every waking moment of my life, but the stuff that's featured on your blog could easily persuade me to recant that statement.

Very much like my family, you all have made it your business to do your research on the music (especially overseas, music in the USA is beginning to recede faster than the recession) and present several unknown or not-as-popular-as-bitch-ass-T Pain artists and groups whom would run CIRCLES around ANYONE at the BET Awards!

Folks, for those of you who actually take out the time to check Musical Schizophrenia out, please leave a comment once in a while. It may not seem very significant, but a simple "thank you" can go a LONG way. It doesn't cost you anything, damnit.

So on behalf of The Blak's Lair Family (NOW I'll speak for them), we support you, we salute you and we encourage you all to continue your mantra of introducing us to some of the dopest underground emcees and dee-jays in the world!

james said...

fuck the haters heaps! MS is has not changed a bit in my eyes, and i still enjoy albums that are being posted. if people don't like it, then they shouldn't visit the site. just because 5 or so individuals choose to complain, does not warrant an overhaul of the blog. plus, if they want good music and they are not happy with what you are posting, they should be motivated enough to search for it, instead of just expecting it to fall in their laps.

keep doing what you do!

Anonymous said...

I have no critics for any blogs, even for the blogs that haven't updated in months. I have to agree with you, that 2007-2008 was one of the greatest years for jazzy hip hop etc. MS has pretty much covered every great album, that has dropped, during those years.

2009 isnt as great as the previous, but their's definitely a lot of gems out there, and the year is not quite done yet! Maybe it's because of the economy/news that's keeping record labels/artists in a conservative mood, who knows.

As i've always said, keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I say so.. MS donating me a lot of happiest times. If you change the blog or keep it down, then I will cry!

Continue in the same style.

KevOne said...

1. Thank you for this wonderful site.
2. If you did happen to miss the comment I left in the box it went a little something like this:

I recently stumbled across DJ Nozawa - Absorption but was disappointed to learn that the whole album was uploaded at 40 kbps which makes listening terrible. I even went to the point of searching every online store for a copy of this particular CD but to no avail - it seems to be sold out everywhere. So is there any chance you could find a decent version of the album through your many connections in the blogosphere and possibly upload it? I wouldn't bother asking if I could buy a physical copy of this brilliant album that contains the excellent and rare Shing02 - Lift the Fog Up Eccy remix.

Thank you for your time and keep up the good work.

eli said...

man, consistency AND variety are two things that not many blogs like this can boast.

you guys can, mad props.

Anonymous said...

Been coming here for over two years now and I aint going nowhere. Nuff said. Keep up the great work.